Friday, June 27, 2008

Goodbye Cornwall

Right now I'm sitting in traffic on the M25 (otherwise known as London's biggest parking lot) but really, it's no worse than Auckland's North Western carpark. Finally, I've left St Agness and Cornwall, and it is a sad departure. I've had such a wonderful time there. The hospitality I received from the Dobles was exceptional. The locals are amazingly friendly, prepared to take time out to chat, give directions, or help you out in any way they can.

I arrived not knowing anyone, and left 2½ weeks later, (2 1/4 weeks later than i'd expected) saying sad goodbyes to friends who I'm already missing, and incredibly indebted to many people, both family, and their friends, for the amazing time i had.


I was very lucky that Mawgan let me borrow his mountain bike pretty much whenever i wanted, Without it, i wouldn't have seen half the things I did, and experienced riding on some amazingly sweet trails, from the clifftop coastal track which runs the whole way around the perimeter of the Cornwall peninsula on rough, loose, and at times steep gravel... to the the old mining tram route running from one coast of the peninsula to the other... and who can forget yesterday's ride in _____ wood, an area pretty much ideal for mountain bikes.., it offered a riding experience with elements of Riverhead, vegas and craters'.... (there wasn't any sand, astroturf, or wood, so I can't draw any parallels with woodhill) the tracks are all relatively short, linking or coming off the two main paths in the wood (frequented by walkers, some with dogs) Some tracks were well formed, smooth and flowing, some were more horse trails, rutted and lumpy.., some were full of blackberry or a similar thorny bush, to bring out more of that good ol' craters feeling, and associated bleeding..., some plantation conifers and some more natural looking plants and a stream running through a beautiful gulley completed the package. Unfortunately i was riding alone, with an expensive camera in my pack and a 9 mile road ride ahead of me, so i only found part of what the forest had to offer, and didn't push myself too hard., how I'd love to return with company, more energy and a helmet.


Last Friday, i managed to tag along on a fundraising effort and walked on fire in the carpark of the local hospital, and on Saturday, the weather was a little cloudier, with rather strong winds, and i got my first opportunity to get dragged around by a power kite. (ok it was only a 3m stunt foil, but it did drag me a bit, and i managed to break a 75kg line.) On Sunday, we, quite by chance, returned to the same place as I was climbing 2 weeks ago. Sunday afternoon saw us eating too much at Hugh's birthday bbq. and on

Monday evening we went to Newquay to see Hannabeth's band play..., following that, for some reason, we thought it would be a good idea to visit a delightfully sinister club in Truro called “The loft". It was an eye-opening experience, 1.50 cover charge, and drinks all cost less than 1.50. After getting over the fact that i felt like a dirty old man..., (think back to leftfield back in the days) i had a great time, and probably ended up more drunk than i can recall ever being before.


Sadly, I didn't learn to surf while i was there, in fact, i only had one attempt, and I only went swimming around 5 times. I didn't jump off any cliffs into the water, and I didn't experience Cream teas, but it's gotta be good to have a few excuses/reasons to return to Cornwall.


This episode of my travels was fueled by “Doble Quality Foods”, the quality food provided at the Doble residence (including home grown eggs and pork), and many visits to the St Agnes bakery.., I highly recommend their breads, yeast buns (raisin buns, to be distinguished from safron buns which are also raisin buns, but made with safron.., equally delicious, but a little more expensive :)), and their flapjacks. Combinations of the above fuelled many of my biking adventures.


Now I'm off to Cambridge to meet the Legendary Uncle Phillip, and loiter around the outskirts while Kate Graduates. Then my next chapter will in Wales.

No comments: