Monday, June 9, 2008

Cornwall., (or more precisely, St Agnes)

While I was in Princetown, I recieved an email from my long lost (although I'm not sure you can loose someone if you never saw them in the first place) second cousin, Jenny. So, since I was in the neighbourhood.., (well, not too far away anyway), and Cornwall is kinda out on a limb geographically, I figured I may as well visit, and well., that's where I am now.


Firstly Cornwall is beautiful, and soaked in history. much of the landscape was formed by the mining of tin and china clay over a centuary ago. The rural roads are narrow, winding, and wild flowers grow high on the sides. (the result of this is rather an exciting experience for passengers in fast moving cars, travelling around blind corners without enough road to comfortably fit 2 cars). There are also the trademark sections of road with trees growing over from either side, forming a leafy tunnel.., (I hate to think about the state of those stretched of road during autumn)




St Agnes is a village on the north coast of the Cornwall peninsula, the people here are laid back and friendly, Surfing is possibly the most common past time, along with casual games on the beach. Apparently the place is somewhat boring during the winter, but the people seem to be so wonderfully friendly, I doubt it. Truro is a large town relatively close to St Agnes, and many of St Agnes' residents, including Jenny work there. Truro is home to a hospital, and med school. Rob, Jenny's nephew and Richard Jefferies (who visited nz a few years ago)'s brother also lives here and works as a physio at the hospital. Consequently, many of the people I've met since I've been here also work at the hospital.




The Sea cliffs off St Agnes are riddled with tracks and make for a rather intersting, and incredibly scenic bike ride. The nearest hill (and the biggest in quite a large area is topped by the beacon (I can only assume that at one point in time, it had navigational markers atop it, now, it just has a survey point... and wonderful views across hedged meadows, out to the windmills, and, of course, across the endless sea.)

No comments: