Saturday, June 14, 2008

Cornwall continued.

I'm still stuck in St Agnes...,

I just can't seem to pry myself away from this beautiful place. A week ago I finally got a climbing fix, even if it was just a little one. 1 hour on the back of a motorbike, 2 hours on some easy trad multipitching, and another hour back in a car..,

A few days later, it was my first attempt at wakeboarding, but that wasn't especially productive.., with that wonderful feeling that we may well be dragged out to sea because the engine wouldn't start.

Other than that, i've been biking lots, and almost have some fitness.., but am starting to eat too much, and had a wonderful standard Aggie Friday evening.., went to the beach in the back of a landrover, played a couple of games of rounders, lit up the bbqs.., (over here there doesn't seem to be such a thing as gas bbqs, it's charcoal all the way, baby)... anyway, more silly games.., 3 legged races, sack races, (but we didn't quite get to duck duck goose..., ) followed by eating, chatting, French Cricket, all while getting somewhat inebriated.., you can buy whatever booze you like at the supermarket, drink it anywhere you like.., (they only just banned alcohol on the tube a couple of weeks ago).., On to one pub.., then a taxi over to another pub, where the locals are rather friendly.., and a walk home at 1:30. This sounds like a particularly good night for me in NZ.., the only difference is here, I did it all in shorts and bare feet!!

Every year, the local sports club holds a fundraising ball.., (formally known as hampers and champers) where you buy a ticket, dress up nicely, bring your own food and party the night away with a dj, live band, etc... I wasn't going to go, but a spare ticket appeared, my arm got twisted rather firmly, trowsers, shoes and a very bright shirt appeared and it woulda been a shame to waste it, so I had a great time!

Sunday was definitely about recovery.., breakfast consisted of 3 rashers of bacon, a couple of hash browns, baked beans, scrambled egg, toast, and a rather bloated stomach. Then Hannah kindly took me for a drive to see sights and take photos right the west end of Cornwall. we didn't go to "land's end" because it's a tourist hole, but we did get a good view of it from some much nicer cliffs. On the way there, we dropped in to an amazing, beautiful enclosed beach, with absolutely icy water.., (I lasted about 5 mins in a wetsuit)

Also, I got a chance to scramble around on the rocks there. So that (and the bbq dinner) was just the icing on a wonderful, but tiring weekend.

Another thing i discovered on Sunday was Cornish icecream... light fluffy, slightly watery, but still delicous!!., I've possibly discovered a guilt free desert.., (until you look at the price of it)

No comments: